After running around gathering together the last of the painting supplies such as containers, rollers, paint brushes, etc… from the donated money from the Greater Westside Board of Trade, I was all set for my big painting weekend and just hoped the rain would go away.

The morning of the 26th, the sunshine was out in all its glory. I arrived at the museum and found one of my devoted painting volunteers waiting and eager to get started. We taped up plastic to the cinder block wall and began lining up the numbered mural panels. Soon more volunteers arrived and the area was busy with activity. At one point before noon, I had 6 volunteers painting and the mural began to quickly take shape.

I explained to the volunteer painters that we would work linear instead of vertical. This way each persons painting style would not be contained on one piece of plywood. I had a volunteer tackle the gradient in the sky, while others worked on the mountain range and others the foliage in the foreground. I was able to use volunteers of any artistic experience, as the task I gave them was suited to their artistic ability and comfort level.

All the volunteers had a great time painting and we had some onlookers who had come to see what we were creating. There was a buzz in the air as the landscape began to take shape.

At noon, many of my volunteers had to get going. This left me with only 1 volunteer until we packed up for the day at 3:30. However, this allowed me to get a few brushes wet myself and I painted instead of just ordering the activity. I tweaked the landscape until it looked like the designer’s vision.

The painting continued the following day, when we started in on the details of the animals. Four volunteers, including the mural designer, had showed up and I delegated an animal to each artist. That morning, I interviewed with 2 newspapers and a TV crew as my volunteers painted in the background.

Whenever an onlooker stopped by to watch the creativity, I asked them if they wanted to paint. Some did and I gave them a task. Others were just happy to watch the creativity in action. I made sure to get the names of all those who had painted on the mural so that I can incorporate them on a dedication plaque. After a total of 57 combined man-hours of painting, the afternoon was spent tweaking and perfecting the painted lines and the mural was completed by 4:30.

So you may wonder what happens next after the creation part is finished. I will let you know in my next blog post.